Wednesday, June 28

I guess he's the best PG in the draft, right?


Celtics trade pick for Telfair. I suppose Ainge really didn't like this draft at all. Why not wait until around pick #7 and see if somone is about to drop into their lap unexpectedly? Celtics/Knicks games will be a lot more interesting. And now I don't have to follow the draft, I can watch Pedro/Beckett in peace.

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!!!! Rumor is in addition to Telfair for #7, we get Ratliff and they get LaFrentz!!!!!! Now THAT is a fantastic trade, friends. I am most pleased.

11 comments:

rm said...

This is great. I was very excited when I first heard the rumor we'd get Telfair, but then thought, no way. Now I don't have to watch my namesake or Dickau in green--and we have two less white guys, which always helps. I think Pierce will be a good influence on Telfair too, and will be excited to play with him. I'm giddy!

Penny said...

Telfair... fine. When you could have Rudy Gay or Randy Foye? Mmmm, not so much.

I was actually at the C's draft party tonight in Waltham, thanks to roommate and WZLX producer Braden (who gets these sort of hookups nowadays). Some points of interest:

1. Mike Gorman told Braden (I witnessed) that the Iverson deal is just about done. He thinks for Wally AND Jeff AND Gerald. Which is retarded if you ask me. However, now that we just secured Rondo for a pile of change, well, that could change.

2. Tommy Heinsohn's body language and general demeanor told me that he did NOT like the trade. PISSED off Tommy at Healthpoint tonight. Another dead giveaway was when he was at the podium and the C's mic chick asked him what he thought about the CELTS' picks: "Well I tell you, I really like that kid from Gonzaga. I think he's gonna be a real good player for Charlotte next year." This, from the greatest Green homer of all time.

3. I was talking to Mrs. Jo Jo White - yes, Mrs. Jo Jo White - and she and I are on the same page on this one. When you can get a Rudy Gay (a potential stud), you don't trade him for a potential middle of the pack point guard.

4. KC Jones has aged very well. Ditto the Cous.

5. Donny Marshall - nice guy.

6. Mr. and Mrs. Jo Jo have a really hot daughter. Not known whether her name is Mrs. Jo Jo Jr.

7. Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched Raef is gone. Thing is, that's just about the only thing I'm psyched about.

8. Finally, the bud lights at Healthpoint were gratis this evening. Soooo, I'm gonna go ahead and be the first to congratulate myself on some remarkably coherent commenting/blogging this evening.


Discuss.

Ben said...

Wow, so if this Celts/Suns "trade" is legit, Ainge could have taken Marcus Williams at 21, but opted for Rondo instead. It's a damn shame Williams went to the Nets. Now I will be unable to take any pleasure whatsoever when he develops into a top-notch NBA point guard. Fuckin' Nets.

Am I wrong, or did we just lose all the cap flexibility that we gained in dealing LaFrentz by adding Brian Grant's albatross?

All in all, Telfair and Rondo are solid additions for draft night. Two young backcourt pieces to go with their veteran wingmen and baby bulls down low. At the very least they now have a well rounded mix of talent.

Ben said...

We posted at the same time, so I didn't see Penny's comments prior to my previous post.

First off, that sounds like a really great event. I'm happy you got to attend. I suppoe the whole trade thing probably made the evening a bit anticlimactic, eh?

As much as Danny Ainge has befuddled me with his trades over the last few seasons, he has proven to be a very qualified drafter. While his picks have yet to produce a star, he has selected solid contributors in the second half of the 1st round and beyond. With his highest pick yet he evidently didn't see anyone that excited him. (Foye isn't really a point guard and Gay plays the same position as Pierce--this could have been his line of thinking). Telfair is a bit of a gamble, but one worth taking on a guy who can score the ball like that. He's not the Williams type of PG that I was lusting after, but the C's could now have a dynamic offense with scorers all over the court. I worry a bit about his defense, because he is rather small. (I suppose we'll have Rondo and West coming off the bench as bigger and better backcourt defenders).

With Telfair and Rondo in the mix one wonders what the future will hold for Delonte. Maybe Wally gets moved (in a deal not involving Iverson) and Delonte is the starting two guard. That would make for a super-small backcourt. Depth is good, things will work themselves out.

Not sure what to say on the potential Iverson trade. Jefferson and Green are too much to give up, but you know what, it's Iverson. If Pierce and Iverson can somehow win a championship in the next three years, I think could live with seeing Jefferson and Green dunk on the heads of various Celtics for the subsequent decade. I feel like the Celtics have been sitting around and waiting for, oh, about 15 years now. I think making a bold move like this might be just what they need.

Jo Jo White always seems like the nicest damn guy on earth. I bet his daughter is a classy broad.

I wish K.C. Jones was still our coach. They say those 80's teams didn't really need a coach, that they would have dominated regardless. Hogwash, I say! Jimmy Rodgers? Chris Ford? M.L. Carr? The franchise went to shit whent K.C. departed. He deserves far more credit than he gets. Never ever, ever does he EVER get mentioned with the all-time greats. Damn shame. 522-252 and two rings says it all.

Donny Marshall always looked like the biggest jerk when he was at UConn. On TV these days looks like a nice guy, I'm happy to hear it's genuine.

The fact that Heinsohn is not pleased with the addition of a cocky kid from Coney Island who he has seen play two or three times does not surprisde me at all. Wait a week into the season and Tommy will be giving us "I LOVE Bassy!" and "Bing! Bang! Boom! Bassy!"

Ben said...

my mistake, it seems Brian Grant's contract is quite reasonable.

that trade doesn't make sense, there must be more involved.

rm said...

Louis, I definitely agree Antoine is better than Raef, and that deal was a disaster. But all that proves is that Danny sucks as a GM, which I wouldn't ever dispute. We can't change the bad deals of the past, we just have to go from where we're currently at, and getting rid of Raef is a good idea in my opinion. I am very high on Telfair, and look at it this way: Either he beats out Delonte, or Delonte beats out Telfair, but either way I think it will light fires under them--given their personalities--and raise their collective values, which gives us more options. My one concern here would be that Iverson deal, because even though I love Iverson, I don't want him influencing Telfair. As for Heinsohn's opinions. I think he's a joke. He generally likes white guys or hustle guys, and so overvalues them. They aren't audtiioning to marry his daughter, and we're not building a team of drinking buddies or school counselors, but competitive atheletes, so I can't hear Tommy on this one. Yeah, I think this does come back to the race card with him (and the old fart card too), at least in part. If Dickau becomes a star (and I don't mean Dana Barros on a shit Philly team type of star), then I will shut up.

Penny said...

You're entitled to your opinions, Rafe. But you are not - not! - allowed to cap on Tommy. I won't stand for it and neither will the rest of your fellow scrodes bros. (you with me here fellas?) That man is a saint. Do you hear me? A saint!

Besides, the tommy thing was more a general point of interest than a supporting point to my anti-trade argument.

Ben said...

Last night we played Trivial Pursuit at the Joiner household. For a pie, I had the following question: "Which two 1980's Lakers' starters wore goggles." I answered Rambis and Worthy. Idiot. Rambis didn't wear goggles, her wore glasses. And as Ply rightly stated, he wasn't even a starter. I forgot about Kareem!!!! It was a terrible outing that found me finishing in last place behind Ply The Victor, Steven's girlfriend, and Steven--who made a late surge to beat me in the pie count.

I also lost in Talisman.

And in soccer on the XBox.

Basketball will be no different.

As for basketball, we're missing a net at the Town Hall, and there seems to be a large deposit of sand under the far hoop. Also, as one might expect, the vines are rather unruly these days. In short, it's just like we left it.

Penny said...

I will be there this evening - should we have some tuneup run tomorrow before the full tourney commences?

Ben said...

We had been discussing this. Perhaps after futbol. Or maybe for a few hours between futbol matches, this way perhaps Natty could join us before work. My schedule is entirely flexible, I can't speak for the others.

Penny said...

My digits, for those of you who don't have them:

Cell - 857 540 1369
Home - 508 693 0230


I plan on hitting the beach early, like 11ish, but anytime after 2 or so, I'm game. (but if Natty can only play earlier, I will definitely be flexible.)

Let's try to figure it out today...