The top 10 could unfold in any number of ways. Here are the players that various sources predict the Celtics will draft in the #7 spot:
Marcus Williams (hoopshype.com)
Rudy Gay (Sprots Illustrated)
Brandon Roy (ESPN)
LaMarcus Aldridge (nbadraft.net)
Randy Foye (InsideHoop.com)
Who do you want? As I've already stated, I want Mr. Roy. I think point guard is our biggest need, but Roy is too strong an all-around player to pass on. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be there at 7 (nor will LaMarcus or Gay). If Roy is taken, Marcus Williams would be an excellent consolation prize. So basically my pick is Williams.
Saturday, June 24
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The Couz and DJ couldn't jump so well, and they won multiple titles in green. Williams is a distributor, that's what we need. Wally cannot create his own shot, nor can any of our bigs (maybe Big Al with that baby hook of his, but that's beside the point). Without Pierce dominating the ball so much he'll be able to get easier shots and conserve energy for defense and rebounding. Delonte is more a scorer and he'll be a nice bench player. We haven't had an able bodied point guard in his prime for as long as I have been watching Celtics' basketball. If Roy is gone, Williams is the only choice.
Your point about the drop-off of talent at #7 and beyond is well-taken. We've yet to discuss the very real possibility that Ainge will trade down. Unfortunately, if it's a point guard Ainge wants, I don't think Lowry or Farmar are wise selections later in the 1st. As far as low-post defenders in the back end of the 1st, you're looking at either Boone or Armstrong from UConn. Ick!
In the middle part of the 1st Carney and Brown are nice athletic swingmen, but I'm not sure what they would add to this particular Celtics' roster. Gunners like Diaz and Douby are slightly intriguing in the mid-20s.
I like Delonte, but on a playoff team I think he's a backup point guard in a scoring role like Bobby Jackson. At 6-4 and skiny he's too small to start at the 2 and defend the position well. (Now is not the time to discuss Wally's defense at the shooting guard position. I will always hate that trade). Delonte had some moments starting at the point but the offense was never really running through him, it was running to Pierce. Now, obviously we want the ball in Pierce's hands a lot, but wouldn't it be nice to relieve some of his role as a facilitator?
I'm not at all concerned with Williams' scoring ability. Pierce and Wally will be looking at about 35 shots a game between them, and West and Allen will be coming off the bench with their aggressive offensive styles. All I want is for Williams to run a fluid, efficient offense. Perhaps I just want this because it will be pretty to look at, but from my experience a pretty offense is a potent offense (!!!!!!!).
Are there any good free agent point guards to be had? This just doesn't seem like the kind of draft where they're going to find the long-term solution. And I've definitely been reading this thread, you two are pretty insightful and it's made me a little less clueless (I hardly followed the Celtics last season, I have to admit.)
Post a Comment