I have not yet read what Peter May wrote, but I can already tell you that I probably disagree with it. I'll go read it, then I'll return, and we shall discuss the matter.
Well, I'm not sure I can really disagree with May because I'm having trouble discerning whether he has a point at all. I mean, I suppose it would be nice to play the wait and see game with all players before giving them an extension, but I think the Celtics are fairly certain about what they have in Pierce, and so am I. The success of next year's team depends almost entirely upon the development of the youngsters. Pierce will continue to do what he's been doing, win or lose.
I think it makes sense to get Pierce squared away with now, enabling them to move forward with him as the cornerstone while decided which young guys to retain around him. With the Pierce deal done they have a better sense of what type of cap situation they're going to be working with in the future as they try to re-sign some of the young guys.
But most of all I just don't see how waiting an additional year to give Pierce the extension helps them in any way. Even if they win 30 games next year it would be more a result of a lack of any experienced point guards or low post scorers than Pierce's leadership. It seems in this case May is just complaining for the sake of complaining. No surprise there.
I agree wholeheartedly with Ben on this one. What stuck out to me in the Peter May piece was his assertion that Pierce hasn't proven he's capable of carrying a (playoff) team. A really lame argument when you consider the lack of talent he's had around him for much of his career - and more recently, lack of legal drinking age talent.
Players who make less than Pierce's new almos $20 mill per contract include: Nash Iverson Kobe Nowitzki Duncan I still think they overpaid by a few million per year--which would bag a role player to help if they ever get back to the playoffs, or sign one of the young guys in a year or two.
5 comments:
I have not yet read what Peter May wrote, but I can already tell you that I probably disagree with it. I'll go read it, then I'll return, and we shall discuss the matter.
Well, I'm not sure I can really disagree with May because I'm having trouble discerning whether he has a point at all. I mean, I suppose it would be nice to play the wait and see game with all players before giving them an extension, but I think the Celtics are fairly certain about what they have in Pierce, and so am I. The success of next year's team depends almost entirely upon the development of the youngsters. Pierce will continue to do what he's been doing, win or lose.
I think it makes sense to get Pierce squared away with now, enabling them to move forward with him as the cornerstone while decided which young guys to retain around him. With the Pierce deal done they have a better sense of what type of cap situation they're going to be working with in the future as they try to re-sign some of the young guys.
But most of all I just don't see how waiting an additional year to give Pierce the extension helps them in any way. Even if they win 30 games next year it would be more a result of a lack of any experienced point guards or low post scorers than Pierce's leadership. It seems in this case May is just complaining for the sake of complaining. No surprise there.
I agree wholeheartedly with Ben on this one. What stuck out to me in the Peter May piece was his assertion that Pierce hasn't proven he's capable of carrying a (playoff) team. A really lame argument when you consider the lack of talent he's had around him for much of his career - and more recently, lack of legal drinking age talent.
I'm glad they locked him up.
Now this guy, he makes some good points:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/kelly_dwyer/07/17/iverson/index.html
Players who make less than Pierce's new almos $20 mill per contract include:
Nash
Iverson
Kobe
Nowitzki
Duncan
I still think they overpaid by a few million per year--which would bag a role player to help if they ever get back to the playoffs, or sign one of the young guys in a year or two.
where is Lou in all this? are you up to 5,000 words in your response yet? c'mon, the world is waiting...
Post a Comment