First day at camp
Olowokandi makes surprise appearance
Telfair puts guarantee on playoff birth
Pierce relishes his role as leader
Time for Big Al to come up big
Not too young to win
Hollinger: Celtics Could Win Atlantic
So what would constitute a successful 2006-2007 campaign, friends? I figure it takes a 10-win improvement from last season's dismal 33-49 mark to get into the playoffs. They made some minor improvements, but in the Asslantic Division they just might have tweaked things enough to move on up. They managed to add a desperately needed defensive-minded big man (Ratliff) and lots of quickness in the backcourt (Rondo and Telfair). This team has more athleticism on the wings than any Celtics team I can remember. Obviosuly that doesn't translate to W's but it could lead to lots of baskets that will take pressure off of Pierce and the defense. I'm excited to see how Gomes plays given a full season, he and Powe will give the C's loads of scrap. Expectations for Perkins and Jefferson seem to have dropped back down to Earth, which is good. I think relying on Ratliff's D in crunch time will help the team immeasurably. Wally's health is a concern. Doc remains a question mark, but I am generally pleased with where the roster is at right now. Go C's!
Wednesday, October 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I'm just not that excited. Yeah, they'll be more fun to watch, and probably better too, but I'd rather suck for five years and have one season at the top than be consistently mediocre. I don't expect anything until Ainge and Doc are gone, they're both ass-hats (new favorite curse word).
A successful 2006-2007 campaing would be getting a high lottery pick. The WORST possible result would be to make the seventh or eighth seed in the playoffs. Teams can cycle from the bottom to the top, but moving anywhere from the middle is tough - as the C's have proven year in and year out. Or, rather, maybe other teams could move up, but the Celtics suck because Ainge is stupid. I've said it before, I'll say it again: the team is going to be stuck until Auerbach and his hand-of-God is no longer making decisions for the Celtics. It's a new era.
1) Auerbach does nothing. The man lives in D.C. and is barely breathing.
2) They have more young players than any team wants or needs. They have 11 guys on the roster with two years experience or less. More draft picks is not the answer when Pierce is in his prime RIGHT NOW. We've been waiting on picks since the Tim Duncan disaster. They need to move forward with what they got, decide which 3-4 of the youngsters are worth keeping long term, and add some veteran pieces to assist Mr. Pierce. I actually like what Ainge did this season. I am concerned about Doc, but I think the roster is moving in the right direction.
3) How am I the Scrodes Bros. Celtics optimist? How the fuck did that happen?
"Auerbach does nothing."
And Ainge is our GM.
Right.
From Wikipedia:
"Ainge has kept the support of former head coach Red Auerbach, still employed by the team as a "senior assistant," and the current ownership group."
I agree with Ben. You're not getting Greg Oden, so F the lottery. Plus, if you really wanted to, I'm sure you could package a couple of our youngsters (say Gerald and Al) for a high pick.
Way I figure it, the whole thing rides on Telfair. If he's actually good, they'll be formidable enough to get somewhere between the 5 & 7 seed. If he's only serviceable, then they're slightly better than last year (and probably still good enough for the 8th seed).
All that said, I still think you try to trade for a big time vet (and I don't mean Antoine). If you're unable to do so, then you ride it out with the kids, see if they can't grow into a legitimate Eastern Conf power in the next year or two. Don't laugh - with the talent they've got, it actually is a possible. (although probably not terribly likely)
ps: I just realized that it's my half birthday today
Come to think of it, I agree with Bruce: sign some vets and get this thing rolling. AND get rid of Ainge.
Ply, Auerbach's title is strictly symbolic. Trust me. The man has nothing to do with the day-tp-day operations of the team. If he did there is no way they would have a dance team for 2006. Your continued paranoia on this subject is unfounded. Supposedly Joe Forte was his pick, but since then I don't believe he's really ben involved at all.
If nothing else I'm glad you can agree with Bruce... who agrees with me.
Benny, you're letting Auerbach off the hook to easily. I still think he's got some say, and even if he doesn't anymore, I'll NEVER forgive him for pushing Forte when others wanted Parker of Tinsley.
I agree with you that we can't build through the draft (although I think the age limit change is going to create a more consistent talent pool for the draft year in and year out.) However, we keep killing our cap space by overpaying mediocre players (Scalabrine anyone?) I would much rather that we did what the Bulls did (although they overpaid for Wallace), and saved up for a few years, then pounced. Unfortunately that won't happen with Ainge in charge, because he already spent his grace period, and has to win now or get shit-canned (please, please, please).
I am optimistic about Telfair, but I think we need to get rid of a young guy or two. The question is, which ones? Who are the two guys you think would command ok trade value that you wouldn't mind losing?
"The question is, which ones? Who are the two guys you think would command ok trade value that you wouldn't mind losing?"
This is a tough question indeed. The Celts are in a difficult spot with respect to dealing the young guys. I think the player with the highest ceiling is STILL Big Al, but his trade value has never been lower after an injury plagued 05-06 season in which he regressed in the eyes of many. Perkins will be a nice rebounding big man for years to come who might eventually be able to get you 10 points a night depending on minutes, but I don't believe his trade value is significant at all. Gomes could get you some quality in return, but of all the young guys he is the one I most want the C's too hang onto. I'm sure there are teams who are drooling at Green's athleticism and are perhaps willing to overpay for him, but I have the suspicion he is Ainge's favorite of the young guys. Allen is a spare part at this point. Rondo could end up being a real steal but he'll get you nothing in return right now. Depending on how Telfair develops Delonte might be the most logical guy to move if you're looking for real value in return. However, I believe Delonte will be a very nice sixth man and I hope they keep him.
So it's tough. Jefferson's value has dipped so now is not the time to trade him, Green's potential is too tantalizing to pass on unless you get a real proven vet, Gomes and West are too valuable to the current campaign and anyone else would be included as a secondary piece in a deal.
So I think we can all agree that we have a not very good team with some long-term potential (but nothing close to certain with any of those prospects), and no real cap freedom or ability to deal for anything worthwhile. I don't see how anyone can be optimistic about that...
Pierce, Wally, Delonte, and Gomes ARE a nice core in the Atlantic Division. If they're fortunate enought to get 2-3 of the other guys (Telfair, Jefferson, Perkins, Green, Allen, Rondo) to take the next step and then mix in a veteran defender type and a veteran shooter, I see no reason why this team can't compete in the East in the next few years.
Meh, I didn't expect optimism from Louis anyway. :p
Post a Comment