Thursday, July 12
C's
Now, I admit to knowing less about the day-to-day operations of the Celtics than pretty much anyone else on here save Sojo, who's still rooting for John Bagley (and he's better for it). And I hate the man I'm about to mention, because he's a prima donna and he's not very good. But do we think there's a chance the Celtics go after Stevie Franchise? He is a point guard, and the Celtics need one of those, and he may be washed up, which would make him a perfect fit for Ainge's team, which he expects to contend "right now" with a sub-par lineup. I could be way off base here, so feel free to put me in my place; my fear is that I'm not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Labeling Steve Francis a point guard is something one does at their own peril. I don't believe he's ever had a 2/1 assist/turnover ratio in a single season of his career.
I really believe the Celtics need a point guard in the mold of Brevin Knight or Steve Blake. Rather uninspiring, I know, but they need a steady hand not a loose cannon. Between Pierce, Allen and Jefferson they have some scorers but with point point guards Rondo, Telfair an Pruitt the Celtics are mighty green at the 1.
We need substance not flash.
With that said, if he's healthy and he finds the right team I would not be at all surprised to see Francis return, if not to form, at least to respectability. My guess is that he might still command more than the mid level exception, which is probably all Ainge is willing to give. Word is Francis wants to reunite with his lost love Cuttino on the Clip Ship.
I like Blake's game a lot, and have always been a fan of Brevin Knight (he's good at picking pockets too if I remember correctly?). Either one makes me happy. Stevie Franchise not so much. But really at this point I don't give a shit, they are going to get the 6 seed in the East with the team they have in place and I'll get to watch a playoff series--maybe even 2. That's all I can hope for with Danny and Doc, so I just don't want them to do anything else that screws us in the long-run after they get canned in a few years.
I'm down with Blake.
And I detest Cuttino.
There was an interesting thing on Celticsblog about that Greek point guard and how the Celtics had a shot for him, but they didn't want to use the mid-level exception (about $5 million) to get him, so he re-signed with his Russian team. Seems like a wasted opportunity when we clearly need another point guard.
Post a Comment