Monday, July 16

Long Slow Distance

Okay, friends, here's the deal. Upon learning that my vacation plans would have me arrive on the island on the morning of the Chilmark Road Race but too late to participate, I have altered my itinerary slightly. Heath permitting I will run the race. Health permitting I will defeat you all.* We must devise a Scrodes Bros. Challenge of some sort. There may be two of us, there may be more. Regardless, I need something to push me back out there running and I believe you people can provide me with the inspiration. I can't be alone on that. We can't all be YMCA league champions, some of us (one of us?) are woefully out of shape and sickly. So what's the bet?

Rafe, whether you are in attendance or not, I am sorry to say you do not qualify for the competition. The reason for your status as a non-qualifier is twofold: first, you know nothing of CC Pride and second, you would destroy us all.



*No.

29 comments:

Bryan said...

I wonder* if there's some sort of correlation between Rafe's lack of CC pride and his ability to annihilate us.

I will be running, little Baby Jesus willing.

*I don't wonder so much as I take it as fact.

Penny said...

I hate running.* When's the race?

*always have

Ben said...

I also wonder things about CC Pride, Bryan.*

August 11, Penny.

And this year's tees feature a mother fucking LOBSTER invading the SUN!
http://www.chilmarkroadrace.org/



*What it is, for example.

G said...

We all know that JS himself has a ton of CC pride.*

I will be running the race and have already signed up.**

*JS CC pride= love of underage girls

**When I say I have registered it means that Tom Brady (Thomas last year) will be running the chilmark road race for the second time in two years.

Bryan said...

All signed up!

rm said...

Since I'm banned from competition (and won't be there), at least I can be the bookie. Current odds in the 2007 CC Pride Run-Off:

Ben: 5 to 1
Bryan: 3 to 1
G: 2 to 1
Penny: Inebriated

As more entrants appear, and training schedules get clearer, I'll update these odds.

Bryan said...

If those are the odds, my life savings on G. Then we can go spend that $20.87 on beers. Interesting how I'll get an odd payout on a 2-1 bet. Think about it.

If Penny's in, here are the odds:

Ben: 10-1
Bryan: 10-1
Penny: 3-1
Grant: 1-2

(The motherfucker has played lacrosse year-round for four years.)

I won't even throw LTS into the mix, but he will be on the Vineyard. If Sojo shows up, he goes off at 2-1, as does G. He has a long history of running for fun.

At my odds, I got $5 on Bruce Willy.

rm said...

If Sojo uses the patented hide in the bushes trick developed at track practice(and can avoid Coach Nelson catching him on it) then I think he's a strong candidate for top billing too.

Ben said...

As long a Young Lambos is not there to snitch on us Steven and I should okay.

Ben said...

I got out of work early and I'm going for a run.*

*Probably some calisthenics followed by a light trot through Myrtle Edwards Park followed by a nap.

Penny said...

why are we all smokin rafe's pole* on this one? besides, he wouldn't show even if he was on the island**. But yeah, I'll try to make it - and I'll probably absolutely fucking dominate.


*Gay to Breakers
**like our last three hoop challenges
***Be the Postal Service to G's Armstrong

Ben said...

ummmm, because he good:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/98/ma/chila815.htm

Ben said...

perhaps the better question is why we're smokin' Thomas Brady's pole:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/06/ma/Aug12_CHILMA_2_set1.shtml

Bryan said...

Um, because we're not going to beat that time?

Anonymous said...

Says you.

Bryan said...

10 minute miles baby. Virtual crawl through pastoral Chilmark.

rm said...

You're smoking my pole because I shoved it in your face.
I love how I "skipped" the game last year, when I organized the game, showed up, took us to the CCC when the town hall court got to small for our numbers, and dominated, yet I "skipped." Still, good luck Penny in the race.

Penny said...

Seriously Rafe, your memory's proving worse than your defense.

First off, last year at the town hall, you only happened to drive by with Flanny while the rest of us were already there. Only THEN did we decide to go to the CCC and play. And when we did so, it was on the same team. (that guy cleaning up all your junk? yeah, that was me)

Secondly, need I remind you that it was I who traveled to YOUR very hood last fall to wage a battle for intergalactic, coastal-city hard court domination? A battle which you - by your own admission - pussed out of altogether?!

Bryan said...

Look, children, there are bigger fish to fry: since only Bruce (potentially) will be on the Vineyard on Aug. 11th, he will have to guard Natty. This will require his full attention.

Anonymous said...

By "Bruce" I surely hope you mean Bruce Bowen. Because, as you know, none of us Scrodes Bros. stand a chance against the offensive arsenal of Ricky Nattiel.

Bryan said...

Why would Bruce Bowen stand a chance?

"Hotel Rwanda is CLOSED, bitch!"

Ben said...

"And the next time you bring that weak shit I will reject it Out of Sight!"

rm said...

Well, I'll concede the SF stuff. But I'm still disputing that MV accusation. By the way, you still considering coming out west? I left a voicemail last week for you, haven't heard back.

Penny said...

yeah, my bad, I know I owe you a phone call. I'll be in touch soon. (short answer: maybe)

Bryan said...

We were due for a long commenter.

RKM, I was in SFO last Saturday for four hours (on the way back from Hong Kong), but it was early in the morning, and I only had the desire to drink beer. So I did.

rm said...

Penny, cool, just give a ring.
Bryan, glad to see your priorities list still places beer above me, I wouldn't have it any other way. By the way, is this the longest comment thread ever at Scrodes?

Anonymous said...

come on Rafe
http://scrodes.blogspot.com/2006/02/lebowski-tennis.html

Bryan said...

It was either beer or calling you at 9 a.m. on a Saturday to come to the airport. And beer is so delicious! You should know it was still a tough call.

rm said...

Well then, for a post with more than two participants at least.