Saturday, January 6

Celtics as conversational tool

I attended last night's Knicks/Sonics game (perhaps the most terrible display of professional athleticism I have ever witnessed in person--and I went to a few Tigers/D-Rays games in aught-three). In conversation with Sonics fans I was able to supply the following:

The Knicks scored 68 points in the first half. During halftime Sonics fan #1 says, "Teams have a tendency to get well when they play the Sonics no matter how bad they are." I respond with, "The Sonics got well when they faced the Celtics."

As the clock winds down Sonics fan #2 says, "I think we might be witnessing the Knicks' first blowout win of the season" "Oh no," I say, "I'm quite sure they blew out the Celts in October."

It occurs to me now that perhaps I was a little too heavy on the negativity around the Sonics fans. After all, in a few months they may very well be stripped of their team altogether. But, relocation aside, I'll be damned if I'm going to let of couple of Sonics fans walk all over me in a battle of foundering franchises.

No comments: