Tuesday, January 2

More Football

Although I do believe the Patriots have a lot of needs in the upcoming draft I also can't deny that I whole heartedly believe they should try to trade both of their first round picks to trade up and get Calvin Johnson. 6'4", 235, 4.35s 40time. It seems that to me that receivers that are of this caliber are rarely busts in the NFL, and it is obvious we are lacking any sort of receiving threat. Your thoughts...

19 comments:

rm said...

How early is he expected to go? Will there two picks be enough to get a high enough pick to take him?

G said...

all things considered, probably not. But it doesn't seem to me that any of the teams with top (top 7) picks need receivers, expect perhaps TB and Minn. If he falls to a around the 8th pick it would be possible. But also very possible that he goes in the top 5 or even number 1. With the Raiders having the top pick I think they should go after Bledsoe and draft Johnson first. Bledsoe Moss and Johnson looks good on paper

G said...

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

this is a good guideline, so he would certainly have to drop out of the top 5

rm said...

Thanks G, it looks like Scrodes Bros. has it's own Mel Kiper, albeit with a mohawk not a coif.

Bryan said...

Well, double dose of good news this morning with Saban-to-Alabama. One, you get rid of a good coach in the division (or at least a similar mind to Belichick), but two, and more importantly, Saban can start feeding Belichick info again (as they're good friends) from the college ranks. I like, I like, I like.

Bryan said...

Also I will say that while I would love Johnson, it's not the Belichick style to go after insane rookies - we'll probably draft 15 Florida receivers.

Penny said...

I don't see it happening. Like Bryan says, not their style to go two high pick wideouts in two years, especially when it'd probably mean trading a couple serious "chips." Besides, I still think they like Chad Jackson for next year with two good hammies, one year in the league and a full camp under his belt.

So unless Johnson miraculously falls in their laps, I'd rather see them keep the picks and focus on finding a stud backer and maybe some more secondary help. (there's still no guarantee they're going to pay what it takes to keep Samuel)

Ps: For the record, I think two #1s would be more than enough to move up to that spot.

Sam said...

Agree with Penny, particularly on the P.S.

Ben said...

Well, the 31st and 32nd pick certainly wouldn't be enough to move up to #2.

G said...

I was waiting for that.

Penny said...

great point.

(though 31/32 aside, I still don't think he goes #2)

Ben said...

Well, they are the Lions and they have released Rogers and discovered that Mike Williams is nearly useless. Which leaves them with Roy Williams, some furry guy and Herman Moore's ghost. I wouldn't put it past 'em.

Penny said...

mmmm, I don't know, not when they can get jamarcus or bquinn in that spot...

rm said...

You really think the Lions will use another high pick for a receiver? I feel like in these situations coaches/GMs are reluctant to use first-rounders on a position they've drafted from multiple times recently, since it is basically an admission of their failure in the past drafts.

Bryan said...

I think who gives a shit about the Lions, GO PATS BABY

Ben said...

No, I don't think they'll take a receiver. All I'm saying is they are the Lions. Nobody on the planet thought they'd actually pick Mike Williams after they already had Roy Williams and Charles Rogers. If anything, their receivers appear to be weaker now than they looked then. Personally, I think thery're taking Higgins to return kicks. Just the guy they've been looking for since Mel Gray's departure.

rm said...

Can anyone tell we're all a little antsy waiting for Sunday to come? I don't think we've ever analyzed anything this thoroughly. How about some predictions. Mine: Pats 24, Jets 17.

Ben said...

Just to cap things off, there is a rumor that Calvin Johnson is leaning towards returning to Georgia Tech.

Bryan said...

Last time we made predictions like this, it turned out badly.

But I will say the Pats rolled the Jets in Madden recently by the score of 37-20. Dillon had 122, and Brady had *two* PA TD passes to Graham (I didn't bother with the depth chart), in the true Pats spirit.