Tuesday, January 30

In true Scrodes Bros. fashion

Gentlemen,
I've signed up for the Big Sur Marathon on April 29th. It is one day before my birthday, so let's pray I make it through the race to see 27. It's supposedly one of the more difficult ones around, with lots of hills (including two miles straight at mile 11!), so all prayers are welcome.

Also--If you're on the Vineyard Feb 9-11 I'll be there for my Grandfather's memorial service, so let me know and we could meet up.

6 comments:

Ben said...

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather, Rafe. He was a true pillar of the Vineyard community. I know that both of my parents, doing the work that they do, looked up to him tremendously. For most of my life my mother has worked at Community Services, an institution that would not even exist were it not for your grandfather.

It feels wrong to discuss his professional accomplishments, for you have not lost a doctor, you've lost a grandfather. I suppose I just wanted to speak for my parents and let you know that your granfather will never be forgotten by Vineyarders in the health care community.

Sam said...

Sorry to hear about that, Rafe. Can't remember a time when I lived on the Vineyard and didn't know who Milton Mazer was. One story from his later years that always sticks out is your account of how he'd turn on to Music St. doing about 5 mph, and immediately flick on his turn signal for your road while still several hundred feet away.

Bryan said...

Rafe, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

In more happy and similar news, I'm aiming at the New York marathon in November, and anyone who wants to run is invited to do so.

Penny said...

It's not like [you're] gonna win anyway.

Anonymous said...

***Fires football into fence in unbridled frustration***

rm said...

Thanks so much guys. Definitely gonna miss the old guy, but the past few weeks have shown that he is well remembered, and I'm glad to know Scrodes Bros. is no different. Brian, you better beat Puffy's time, I'm counting on you.